Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Bad Week

I'd written the other day that my AC had conked out though it was only four years old.

Well, the week hasn't gotten any better. The next day, my computer was acting slower than normal, so I rebooted it as that usually helps to speed it up a bit. When I came back online and opened the Firefox browser, I discovered that all my bookmarks had vanished. Poof! So, I've been laboriously going around to various sites trying to re-create what I had. But I had a complicated set of bookmarks and I know I'll never remember what all I had, so I won't get everything back.

The next thing I did was schedule a backup for the computer. It stopped midway through, informing me I didn't have enough space to perform a full backup. I was pissed off to find that it had retained what it had been able to back up until that point, however, and had eaten up what space I'd had available. And I have no fucking clue how to get rid of the partial backup I did so I can get back what space I'd had available before starting the backup.

I had the day off yesterday and though it was raining, I went out to pay some bills. It was clammy and humid in addition to being wet. Nevertheless, I was glad to be under my car's cool air conditioning considering I now have none in the house. As I paid the last bill at a drive up window, a man in the next lane pointed out to me that I had a flat tire. Fucking great. It was pouring down rain at this time and I certainly didn't want to be out trying to change a tire in that weather.

However, there was a tire store a block from where I was, so I crept down there carefully. It was OK, as it wasn't quite to the point of being a flopping flat tire just yet. I even clung to the vain hope that it was just a leak that could be repaired. But that was silly of me. It, of course, needed to be replaced, even though the tire in question was less than a year old. Money has been tight lately and I really didn't need to be buying another one now. But as I can't put it off and drive with only three tires, I did what I had to do.

As I sat in the waiting room, the TV was talking about an tornado warnings all over my area. I commented on this to the clerk and he said the tornado sirens in town had gone off two times already that afternoon.

WTF? That's the first I'd heard of it. Though I lived a couple of miles from where the tire store was, I'd not heard any sirens at all. The closest siren to me is about a mile off and with two fans running in my house, there's no way I'd have heard it unless I stepped outside and even then, I'd have to listen carefully to pick it up.

We had several more warnings throughout the evening, though none in my direct area and the rain continued as the remnants of Hurricane Fay slowly made its way through the area. I'm under a tornado watch even as I type, but I'm guessing it's only a precaution, as I think the bulk of what's left of the storm has moved northward.

I can only hope the rest of my week get better.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Oh wow...I hope your week does indeed get better. So sorry to hear about all that crap happening. We were suppose to have some rain today leftover from the storm, it all went east and south of us! We haven't had rain for so long now. Really all it did tonight was make things incredibly humid! I forgot to tell you that this past Saturday a train derailed here in town, about 1/2 mile from my house. Luckily, no one was hurt and no houses were damaged. The train was hauling hazardous waste and also brand new cars. The six or eight cars that derailed were hauling the new cars.