Saturday, August 9, 2008

Kids and College Students

I frequently hear a radio commercial for the United Negro College Fund. In this commercial, a college student describes her busy course schedule that goes from early morning well into the evening. At the end, she says "thank you", as she is presumably a recipient of funds from this organization. Then an announcer comes on and says, "If a kid is willing to do what it takes to get through college...".

I may be nitpicking, but I don't think of someone who is of legal age engaged in responsible activity as a "kid". If I'd been the writer of this ad, I'd have replaced "kid" with "student".


This is a kid


This is a college student.


See the difference?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, I totally agree with you. It's manipulative, isn't it? And insulting to the students.