Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Three Stooges Movie

As a kid in the sixties and seventies, I grew up watching The Three Stooges on TV every afternoon after school. I must have seen every episode dozens of times. Even now, I could accurately reproduce the opening music for each episode, as the tune is burned into my brain.

My friends and I would imitate Moe and Curly, with one doing the eye jabs, and the other putting up a hand between our eyes to block it. We'd do some of the other gestures, such as Moe slowly raising his hand in front of Curly, whose eyes would follow it up, and who would then be surprised brought it down suddenly to slap him on the face.

We'd do Curly's "woob, woob, woob, woob, woob, woob,", "nyuk, nyuk, nyuk", "wiseguy, eh ?", and his high pitched hum: "la da DEEEEEEE, la, la, la, la, deee". And naturally we'd try his breakdance-like thing of lying on the floor and spinning ourselves around in circles.

I've missed watching the Stooges, as I've never gotten around to buying their DVDs.

I heard the other day that a Three Stooges movie, which will be a modern version of the 1930s and 40s episodes, will be released in 2010. Jim Carrey will play Curly, with Sean Penn as Larry, and Benecio Del Toro as Moe. I think Carrey will be great as Curly, though he'll have to gain quite a bit of weight or put on a fat suit to pull it off. The other two I'm not so sure of, but perhaps Carrey can carry the entire movie if the other two prove to be miscast.

The movie will be released some time in 2010.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info on the 3 Stooges movie. I'll have to see it. I wish someone would also attempt to remake some Marx brothers movie. What a hoot that might be.