Sunday, June 7, 2009

Bluntly Stated

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

They'll have us living for the benefit of our fellow man instead of us living for our own individual benefit!
--Neal Boortz, in reference to liberals and Democrats.

I heard Boortz make the second comment on one of his recent broadcasts, which is but one of many illustrations of what makes the first statement true.. I'm not sure if I remember his exact words precisely, but this is the gist of them. He spoke in a tone that made clear that he found the idea of devoting one's live in service to humanity to be extremely revolting and something to be avoided.

I have to give the man credit for being totally honest, however. Most conservatives will not so bluntly admit their complete disguest for altruism.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

About 15 years ago, I worked with an admitted objectivist, devotee of Ayn Rand. He was totally selfish. He did not give to charity or have any sympathy for anyone having hard luck, such as cancer.

He was a young man, working only for the goal of retiring at 40. I told him that I felt sorry for him, but he did not understand that emotion.

Yes, Boortz is honest about his being selfish. I don't feel sorry for him though. He is old enough to know better.